Thai-style Cured Salmon with Mango & Cucumber Relish2015-02-24
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- 1.25 kg tail piece of salmon in two halves, filleted but skin left on 100g coarse sea salt 100g golden caster sugar
- tbsp Bart Aromatic Thai spice blend Grated zest of 1 lime
- Mango & Cucumber Relish
- 1 large mango, peeled and cut into small cubes
- ¼ cucumber, de-seeded and cut into small cubes
- ½ red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp Bart Thai Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Check the salmon carefully for bones by running your fingers along the salmon flesh and pull out the bones using a pair of tweezers.
- In a bowl, mix together the salt, sugar, Aromatic Thai spice blend and rub into the salmon flesh. Line a dish, big enough to hold the salmon, with a double layer of foil.
- Put one of the pieces of salmon skin side down on the foil. Spread the spice mixture over the flesh and put the other piece of salmon, skin side up, on top. Pull up the foil to cover the fish and place a board and some weights on top. Leave in the fridge to cure, for 2-4 days, turning every so often. Liquid will seep out and can be poured off.
- One hour before serving, make the Mango relish. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients then set aside.
- Remove the foil and scrape the cure off the fish. To serve, slice thinly across the grain, as you would smoked salmon. Serve with the relish.