BARBECUE BEEF SHORT RIBS IN NEW YORK STEAK RUB WITH WATERCRESS SALAD2015-03-06
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
15mins & 3-4 hours marinating
4 1/2 hours
- Bart Smokehouse Barbecue New York Steak Rub
- 4 Beef short ribs (not too large)
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 bag watercress
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to season
- Lay the ribs on a board and sprinkle over the New York Steak Rub, put them into the marinating bag, seal and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 140C. Tip the ribs into a casserole dish and pour over the stock. Put the lid on the pan and cook for 3hrs until the beef is tender. If the ribs aren’t completely submerged in the stock, turn them halfway through the cooking.
- If you’re preparing ahead, cover and refrigerate the beef and let the stock cool so that the fat sets and you’re able to lift it off and discard. If you don’t have time for that, skim the fat from the top of the cooking liquid with a spoon.
- Turn the oven to 180C. Pour the cooking liquid into a saucepan and put the Ribs into an oven dish. Boil the liquid rapidly on the hob until its reduced by half. Tip this over the ribs and return to the oven for 30 mins, basting halfway through.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways then thinly slice. Put the cucumber and watercress in a bowl. In a small dish or jar whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard and season. Drizzle over the salad and toss well. Serve with the ribs
- If you’ve got the barbecue out you can finish the ribs over the flames instead of returning them to the oven. Baste with the reduced cooking liquid as they sizzle, they’re done when they have a sticky, crispy, smokey layer on the outside.
View All Recipes