ORANGE AND SAFFRON CAKE2015-03-03
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- 115g softened butter
- zest of 1 orange & the juice of half an orange
- 245g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 175g fine polenta or cornmea
- 100g ground almonds
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- 300ml orange juice
- pinch Bart Saffron Strands
- 1 Bart Cinnamon Stick
- 4 oranges, peeled & segmented
- 115g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas 4. Butter and base line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Put the butter, orange zest and 115g sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Mix together the polenta, ground almonds and baking powder and fold into the creamed mixture with the orange juice.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until well risen. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes.
- Make the syrup. Put the orange juice, saffron, cinnamon and 130g sugar into a pan and heat gently unitl the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes until syrupy, strain into a jug.
- Place the cake in a deep serving dish and using a skewer, make holes in the warm cake. Pour three quarters of the syrup over the cake and leave for 30 minutes./li>
- Place the orange segments and dates in the remaining syrup and leave to cool./li>
- Sift icing sugar over the cake, cut into portions and serve with the fruit in syrup./li>
View All Recipes